Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Only two weeks into summer...

... and I'm already rather tired of the slow lifestyle of Southwest Virginia. Even though this place is my home, I feel more at home on the beautiful campus of Wake Forest. This is not to say that I am not enjoying myself, for I have missed my family tremendously and words cannot describe how great it is to be back with them. It's just strange to have such an extreme change in scenery. I mean, honestly people, when have you known Joe (keeping in mind his unusually slow reading skills) to have already read three substantial works of literature (and two Harry Potter books) in less than a month! This brief lament, however, is not my primary purpose in writing this particular post.

Having recently attended the Commencement and Baccalaureate ceremonies for the WFU class of 2008, I have been pondering a conversation I had rather early on the morning of graduation with one of my very dear senior friends. After discussing the interesting happenings of the Baptist Student Union and Wesley senior banquets and expressing both of our feelings of uncertainty about the future, the conversation took a turn down the spiritual road, as many conversations tend to do at 1:00 in the morning.

My friend, a proponent of the Episcopalian faith and a devout scholar of church music, and I have always enjoyed debating theology as we have very different opinions on a number of issues. That night we managed to work our way into previously uncharted territory: the division among denominations over the importance of grace vs. doctrine. It really was interesting to consider the importance of both of these components in the life of a Christian. Our discussion has led me to a greater respect for the principles of church doctrine found in creed, in ritual and in song. Yet I am still sold beyond the shadow of a doubt that no Christian life can ever last unless it is firmly rooted in salvation through grace (in case you didn't catch that from my previous post!). However, I have come to one major conclusion that I wish to share with the 5 or 6 people who might just read this...

The debate between theologically liberal and conservative denominations within the church over the importance of doctrine and ritual within worship is held as much too great of a problem. It appears to me that there is no need to question whether one of these principles (salvation or doctrine) is any more important than the other. I believe that the two concepts are mutually dependent; one cannot be fully appreciated without the other. All the songs, all the signs of the cross, all the Holy Communions, baptisms and confirmations are perfectly meaningless without some real evidence of grace to make them worthwhile and representative of some deeper meaning and sanctification. However, doctrine cannot be ignored, lest our relationships with Christ be reduced to solely emotional whims and expectations for Christ to meet us where we are without us moving (through conforming our lives and thoughts to His will) closer to Him. There is much to be gained through the ages worth of rituals passed down from the Holy Catholic Church and of doctrine and hymns developed through years of reformation. However, it all becomes dim and worldly without Christ's inspiration and fulfillment.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Well, first of all Joe, I can totally relate with you in regards to the slow lifestyle... I'm right there with you. I know what you are going through. Hang in there, maybe a job would help pass the time?

In regards to the comments about church, I would agree. We can not dismiss the importance of sound doctrine in the church. It is vital, in order for the health of the church to thrive, it must be a ministry built on the Word and the Gospel. I've actually just finished reading a book called "The Deliberate Church", and it is suggesting that churches rely on building their ministry around the Gospel and God's word instead of relying on new programs and entertainment for growth. This book suggests music in the church should wholly reflect the character of God, the Gospel, and doctrinal truths sung in song (which, a lot of contemporary music fails to do - but that is another discussion for another time). Also, I think we shouldn't lose the importance of the ordinances (which, at least from my knowledge.. the Baptist denomination could do a little better with). The ordinances (baptism and the Lord's summer) provide a picture of the Gospel for the church.

My only concern, however, is when we do things solely for the sake of tradition. I think this is what you were getting at, but when we just blindly follow rituals because of tradition, it loses its meaning for the believer. I think this even applies to the ordinances... if the Lord's supper becomes something we "just do" at church, just because we do it every week (or however frequently) at church, it loses its meaning. I think worship music is another indication of this. I think instead of worship music being "traditional" or "contemporary", we could have a mix of both in our services. As long as the focus is on lyrics which magnify Christ through doctrinal truths about His character and work on the cross, what does it matter the style of music?